ASSISTANCE AND TIPS
ALL MODELS BERKEY®
Travel Berkey® 5.6L
Big Berkey® 8.5L
Royal Berkey® 12.3L
Imperial Berkey® 17L
Crown Berkey® 22.7L
Berkey Light® 10.4L
Go Berkey® 0.95L
Sport Berkey® Bottle 0.65L
Black Berkey Primer™ priming pump
Black Berkey Primer™ Priming Pump
Allows Black Berkey® filters to be primed without a faucet
Convenient for small sinks
Essential if no access to a faucet
Allows filters to be drained in case of absence
100% successful priming and cleaning
Black Berkey Primer™ Priming Pump
PRIMER PUMP = 100% SUCCESSFUL PRIMING = 100% COMPLETE CLEANING
This manual priming pump allows you to prime Black Berkey® purification elements without the need for a faucet access and without the need for hose connections.
Black Berkey® Purification Element Priming saturates the filters with water before use, allowing immediate use of your Berkey® water purifier, wherever you are.
IT IS AN INDISPENSABLE ACCESSORY IN THE FOLLOWING CASES:
- Are you planning to filter spring, well, rain or borehole water? The Primer pump allows you to prime the filters without contaminating them. More than indispensable, it is mandatory.
- Does your tap have an aerator or economiser? This type of tap does not allow the filters to be primed correctly.
If you have a small sink or faucet, or insufficient water pressure that doesn't allow you to use the priming washer that came with your water filter, the Black Berkey Primer™ makes priming your Black Berkey® purification elements easy.
The Black Berkey Primer™ also purges the Black Berkey® purification elements by using air instead of water to clean the pores in the activated carbon filter wall.
Purging Black Berkey® purification elements involves cleaning the pores of debris that has accumulated through use and reduces the time and effort required to dry the filters before storing them for an extended period of time.
- Specially designed for:
- Priming Black Berkey® filters
- Purge Black Berkey® filters before storage
- Cleaning Black Berkey® Filters
- Can be cleaned with mild soap and warm water.
- Store in a cool, dry place and away from direct sunlight.
Only compatible with Black Berkey® filters
Not compatible with PF-2™ or Sport Berkey® filters
- Food grade plastic
- Berkey Light®
Whether Black Berkey® filters or Berkey® PF-2™ filters, it is necessary to prime them before their first use or after a long storage time.
You can refer to the Black Berkey® water filter priming document and also the PF-2™ filter priming.
To facilitate priming Black Berkey® filters, or if space under your faucet is limited, there is also a convenient priming pump that allows you to prime Black Berkey® filters anywhere, anytime.
Black Berkey® filters come standard on Berkey® purification systems, the market leader in gravity-fed water purifiers. Each element is designed to purify approximately 11,300 liters of water before needing to be replaced. A pair of these elements in a Berkey® water purifier will purify approximately 22,600 liters of water before replacement is recommended. Black Berkey® purification elements are sold in sets of two and can be used to upgrade most gravity-fed water filtration systems. They are cleanable and self-sterilizing. They come with a 2-year commensurate warranty.
Also find installation and operating instructions for Black Berkey® purification elements and a video explaining how to prime Black Berkey® water filters.
To facilitate the priming of Black Berkey® filters, Berkey® has created a priming pump. See detailed information about the Black Berkey Primer® pump.
Black Berkey Primer™ is a hand pump that makes it easy to prime Black Berkey® filter elements without the need for faucet pressure or when there is not enough room under the faucet to easily prime filters.
Priming Black Berkey® purification elements is a must in order to flush out air and saturate the filters with water before use.
The Primer™ pump also allows the Black Berkey® purification elements to be purged with air in order to clean the pores in the filter wall if necessary, but also to dry the filters in the event of long-term storage (see information on the storage of Black Berkey® filters on this subject).
The Primer pump therefore allows:
1- Remove debris that may accumulate in the filter pores during use,
2- Reduce the time and effort required to dry the filters before storing them,
3- Facilitate priming of the elements when water pressure is not accessible or when there is little space under the faucet, for example with a small sink.
The Black Berkey Primer™ pump is specifically designed for use with Black Berkey® purification elements.
Find instructions for using the Black Berkey Primer™ pump. To supplement this information, you can watch a video on how to use the Black Berkey Primer™.
1- If you have already used your filters
The storage method will depend on how long the Black Berkey® water filters will not be used:
- If the amount of time they will not be used is less than 3 days, there is nothing special to do.
- If the filters will not be used for more than 3 days but less than 15 days and you want to avoid the re-booting process, remove them from the system, place them in a sealed plastic bag and then place the filters in the refrigerator, making sure they do not freeze. This will allow the filters to remain saturated with water and prevent re-priming. If you find that the filters are running slower than usual when they are restarted, restart them until water drips from the outside of the wall.
- For longer term storage, we recommend drying and sealing the filters. The key is to make sure they are completely dry before storing them, to avoid bacterial growth. One way to dry your filters is to leave them on a windowsill for one to three days and let them air dry. We also offer a priming and purging tool. This tool is called the Black Berkey Primer™. The advantage of purging Black Berkey® purification elements is that they dry very quickly. Once the filters are dry, place them in a tightly sealed plastic bag. Black Berkey® filters are extremely powerful and can absorb odors and smoke from the air. When you turn them back on, clean them by scrubbing the outside with a Scotch-Brite® pad or a stiff brush. Then re-boot the filters manually or with Black Berkey Primer™ before putting them back in the system.
* Please note that the above storage methods apply to Black Berkey® purification elements only. See below for PF-2 filters.
2- If you have never used your elements
If the elements are unopened and still in their original packaging, be careful not to store them in an area with strong odors, such as a laundry room or garage. The elements contain activated carbon, among other things, which allows them to absorb odors from the room in which they are stored. For example, avoid storing them near highly scented items such as soap or washing powder.
In theory, the shelf life of Black Berkey® purification elements is unlimited.
When storing the stainless steel chambers of your Berkey® system, it is best to drain them thoroughly, as stagnant water can become loaded with bacteria. We recommend that you wash your Berkey® system with soapy water before letting it dry.
Elfriede M. published the 20/12/2021 following an order made on 23/11/2021
The manual and the picture are not clear enough.